The South Carolina Confederate Home opened on Confederate Memorial Day, May 10, 1909. It was located on the corner of Confederate Avenue and Bull Street in Columbia. The initial governing commission board consisted of five members (3 had to be ex-Confederate soldiers or sailors) which were appointed by the governor. Two veterans from each county in South Carolina were recommended by the County Pension Board to be admitted.
In 1921, four members from the United Daughters of the Confederacy were added to the board, which now was up to nine members. This was the first time women were given a significant role in the operations of a state wide board.
In 1925, the home opened its doors to veteran’s widows before eventually extending eligibility to Confederate veteran’s sisters, daughters and nieces. The last Confederate veteran living in the home died in 1944, but continued to operate until 1957. The house was then destroyed in 1963 after being deemed a fire hazard.
The following is one of the applications which was placed, this one by Amos Banks of Lexington County, Amos served in Company F, 5th Calvary Regiment.