The Socastee United Methodist Church and its cemetery are located on Dick Pond Road just east of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. One of the oldest churches in Horry County, the original church, a log cabin, was built in 1818 on what is now a corner of the cemetery. The second church, built in 1875, by W.T. Goldfinch of Conway was a classic design with a gable front and four columns. Originally lit by kerosene lanterns, the church obtained battery-powered electric lights in 1925.
The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1957 … as it stands today. However, in the ensuing years, the congregation outgrew this building and a new sanctuary was built in 1987 adjacent to the older church. The cemetery markers show dates going back to the early nineteenth century.